A good pillow allows you to sleep at the expense of keeping the head and neck in the right position. Muscles relax and relax. A bad pillow hurts. Here’s how to choose a soft and comfortable pillow for a comfortable sleep.
Do you have a sore neck in the morning?
The unpleasant feeling of pain in the neck is familiar to many people. It can occur due to diseases: osteoarthritis, intervertebral hernia, lymphadenitis, osteochondrosis, and other diseases. Most often, the cause of pain is an uncomfortable pillow or mattress that does not support the spine. Muscles all night are in tension, and in the morning, there is pain. In this case, you can solve this problem with an orthopedic pillow. With it, you from the first nights will feel a light sleep and will be able to get enough sleep, not for 9-10 hours, but the necessary 8.
If the pain continues after buying an orthopedic pillow, it is better to seek help from a doctor.
Has the pillow changed the rigidity since the purchase?
We must honestly admit that people rarely change the bedding. Sometimes they are even inherited. Remember that most crossings you take with you a mattress, a blanket, and a pillow. Sometimes their age can reach 20-30 years. Even the highest quality pillows lose their properties over the years. For example, feather cushions cease to hold a lush shape and prick their rods, and foam pillows – crumble. All this leads to the fact that the head in a dream almost comes into contact through a pillow with a mattress. Over time, it causes pain.
Does your pillow smell strange?
Sniff your pillow. What does it smell like? If the smell is unpleasant, then it may speak of the process of rotting different bacteria. They fall into a pillow from the head or together with the dust, even in the cleanest room. The pillow can be dust mites, up to 16 species of different fungi, dead skin particles, dust, and other contamination. Even the most thorough dry cleaning is unlikely to make your pillow perfectly clean, so a bad smell is one of the reasons to throw away the pillow. Don’t feel sorry for her. Health is more important.
What pillows are good for sleep
The perfect pillow:
- Keeps your head and neck in the right position;
- Pleasant to the touch;
- It does not cause allergies.
- It has a protective case that is easy to wash;
- Has a memory effect and quickly adjusts to the contours of your body;
- It has a square or rectangular shape (50 by 70 cm);
- has a certificate of quality.
- those over the age of 10;
- Have a bad smell;
- Don’t keep the uniform.
- Too hard or too soft;
- small ones – they don’t fit the head;
- Do not have a protective cover.
The filler is the base of the pillow. Thanks to it, it has a certain rigidity, keeps the form, conducts or does not conduct heat, and has other properties. The pillows may contain natural or artificial materials. Most often use fluff or feather, wool, bamboo, synthpop, buckwheat husk, latex, foam, and other materials.
You mustn’t have allergies to the materials that make up the pillow. Most often, allergies occur on natural materials, such as feathers or wool.
Many people like to eat buckwheat porridge but are surprised to learn that this cereal is also added to the pillows. They use not the kernels themselves but dried and peeled scales. They have the shape of a small pyramid.
- Soak up moisture;
- Maintain a comfortable temperature;
- During sleep, relax the muscles of the back and neck;
- have a massage effect.
Among the drawbacks of the filler can be called:
- Noise husks due to friction;
- Increased rigidity;
- There is a risk of filling at night or when cleaning;
- weight (up to 5 kg).
Latex is a natural material made from the juice of the Brazilian theme, predominantly in Southeast Asia. The juice is processed and made into a monolithic pillow. It is similar to foam but has more advantages.
Among the benefits of latex pillows:
- Sleep convenience (elasticity and elasticity);
- antibacterial (they do not accumulate dust and microorganisms do not multiply);
- breathability (cushion “breathes,” diverts moisture);
- longevity (can be used for 10 years).
Cons can be:
- The smell of milk (over time, it is weathered);
- Allergies in some people;
- high price (from 4000 rubles).
At the heart of the pillow is a modified foam, gel, or other substances. They respond to heat and pressure. This allows the pillow to adjust to the shape of your head and neck.
- orthopedic effect (head and neck are in the right position);
- antibacterial effect (dust mites will never start and bacteria will not multiply);
- It does not cause allergies.
- Silentness (there is no “whistle” effect when you press);
- durability (can be used for more than five years).
- A specific odor that needs to be weathered within a few days of purchase;
- the viscosity of the material (you need to get used to it);
- some fillers can heat up and cause sweat on a hot night.
Choosing an orthopedic pillow: the main characteristics
When choosing an orthopedic pillow, you should pay attention to:
- Size (for children it is better to choose a small size, adults – standard, for example, 50-70 cm);
- Form (rectangle, square, wave, horseshoe, etc.);
- filler (latex, memory foam, fluff, etc.; it is important that the material does not cause allergies);
- The rigidity of the pillow (medium or high);
- The presence or absence of a pillowcase (it will protect the pillow from dirt);
- Manufacturer (it is important to choose a company that cares about the quality of products);
- cost (the cheaper, the lower the quality).
The size and height of the pillow
The most common size of pillows:
- 50 to 70 cm;
- 50 to 60 cm;
- 50 to 50 cm;
- 60 to 60 cm;
- 70 to 70 cm.
There are many sizes. It would help if you started from the purpose of the pillow. If it is decorative for the sofa, it can be small, for example, 30-30 cm or 40 to 40 cm. If it is for sleeping adults, it is better to stop at the option 50-70 cm. It is important that the pillow was not too small and not too big – it can cause discomfort and lead to pain in the neck.
The height of the pillow also matters. For adults, the optimal height is 10-15 cm. Your ideal pillow size is equal to the length of the shoulder.
The hardness of the pillow
Pillows can be soft, medium-hard, or be stiff. Which option you need is a matter of taste or a doctor’s recommendation if you have a disease.
The base of soft pillows can be fluff, cotton, hollofaiber, foam, and other materials. Medium-hard pillows are often filled with wool or memory-effect materials. And hard pillows often consist of buckwheat husks or latex.
The posture of sleep also chooses the degree of rigidity. If you often sleep on your stomach, you need a soft pillow. Average rigidity for those who sleep more on the back and hard is better suited to fans to sleep on their side.
The cost of the pillow
This is often one of the most important criteria for choosing a pillow. People determine the amount and want to pick up the ideal option for it. The simplest pillows on the Internet can be found for 70 rubles apiece. However, you should understand that you will most likely want something better after sleeping on it for only a few days.
Standard low-cost pillows measuring 50 to 70 cm cost 300-2000 rubles. From 3000 rubles, you can buy pillows with memory effects or latex.
The cost of the most expensive options can reach 170,000 rubles. They are made of Icelandic goose fluff, and the case consists of 100% natural silk.
What is the feature of an orthopedic pillow? Keeping the head and neck in the right position allows the blood to circulate normally and not stagnate, which relaxes the muscles. Due to this, you get enough sleep, and in the morning, there is no pain in your neck or back.
Conventional pillows do not have this effect, so the cervical vertebrae can twist, clamp nerves or maintain muscles in tension all night. The wrong situation can cause the disease. Therefore, it is better not to save on a pillow.
Check the orthopedic effect of the pillow is simple – click on it. If it’s hard, it’s orthopedic. Soft pillows can not be called orthopedic.
Why the orthopedic pillow doesn’t fit
There can be many reasons. For example:
- Small pillow size – you are uncomfortable sleeping on it.
- Small or high height – does not allow the neck to keep the correct shape (the head is above or below the put).
- You don’t sleep much on it – you need to sleep on the pillow for about a week to get used to this type of pillow.
- You have a neck disease that does not recommend sleeping on hard pillows. The pillow does not cure diseases but is used for prevention.
- Soft mattress – the pillow falls a little, and the orthopedic effect is lost.
How to care for an orthopedic pillow?
Proper care can increase the pillow’s life and rid it of unpleasant odors, microorganisms, and dirt. The pillow must be used in a special protective case, easy to wash in the washing machine.
The method of cleaning the pillow depends on the type of materials. The rules of care should be listed on the product label. Under general rules, pillows made of synthetic materials can be washed. If the base is a natural filler, then manual or chemical cleaning is required.
It’s better when cleaning:
- Use fewer chemical cleaners;
- Do not dry the pillow in the sun;
- do not cover with other wet objects.
Depending on the material, the pillow is recommended to be cleaned at least once every 3-6 months.
What to look for when choosing an orthopedic pillow?
If you decide to buy an orthopedic pillow, you need to solve the problem: prevent the development of neck diseases or have a good product on which it is easy to get enough sleep. In any case, you need to buy a quality product. To do this, read reviews of it from other users before buying it.
However, do not forget that all people are different, and a good pillow can not approach one person and solve all the problems at another.
It is important to pillow:
- It fits the size.
- There was the right rigidity.
- had a protective cover;
- didn’t cause allergies.
The first pillow for the baby should be bought at the age of about 1.5 years. The rigidity should be average. You cannot use an adult pillow because it can harm the spine. The approximate size is 30 to 40 cm; the thickness is 3-6 cm (the smaller the age, the less the pillow is needed).
It is important to pillow:
- She did not cause allergies;
- was breathable (well-missed air);
- absorbed and easily evaporated moisture.
As a filler for a baby pillow, well fit latex, comfort, bamboo, foam.
Check the certificate of compliance before buying a pillow. The product must be safe.
On a long journey by car or plane, you can take a tourist pillow. It will allow you to relax and sleep even in a sitting position. The effect is achieved by fixing the neck. Muscles rest, and you can rest faster.
Pillows can be:
- inflatable or self-inflating (take up a minimum of space, convenient in foreign trips);
- with filler (polymer balls, buckwheat husk, fluff, foam with memory effect, and other materials);
- with additional properties (massager, music player, hood, etc.)
For the lower back/back
Such pillows are needed to fix the spine in the correct sitting position. They are attached to chairs or chairs. This reduces the strain on the back and relaxes the muscles. Most commonly used when:
- back diseases (osteochondrosis, neuralgia);
- chronic back pain;
- In the postoperative period;
- Long-term physical activity
- to prevent back diseases.
Pillows are not recommended for skin diseases, wounds, and swelling on the back.
They can be made of a variety of materials: latex, memory foam, foam.
For the feet
Our feet also need protection, but few people think to buy a pillow for them. They are rare on sale—pillows in relieving tension, relaxing muscles, and improving circulation.
They can help in such cases:
- Varicose veins;
- Swelling of the legs;
- poor blood circulation (when the legs are often cold);
- pain in the legs;
- Muscle spasms;
Pillows for feet are undulating, in the form of cubes, roller, beveled cube, etc. Preference is better given to natural fillers or synthetic analogs, for example, with the effect of memory.
For pregnant and lactating women
During pregnancy, it becomes harder for many women to fall asleep on a regular bed. They toss in search of a comfortable posture for sleep. Often because of this, they do not get enough sleep. A pillow for pregnant women can solve the problem. She is:
- Reduces the load on the spine;
- relaxes the muscles of the back and legs;
- It helps you fall asleep faster;
- can be used after the birth of a child.
Such pillows can have an unusual shape in the letter U, C, L, I, G. Fillers are Styrofoam, hollofyber, satin, buckwheat husk, and other materials.
Act on this algorithm:
- Before buying, tell the consultant what properties the pillow should have. Ask him about the properties of the pillows on offer.
- Exclude pillows that you may be allergic to.
- Try to lie on different types of pillows. Pick the most comfortable one.
- Don’t buy a pillow right away. Read people’s reviews online.
- Before you buy, find out if you can return the pillow if it doesn’t fit. The law allows sellers not to take back the sold product, but some companies are willing to do so.