Pillows are used constantly – and this can not but affect their appearance and condition. They can somewhat change the shape; they can accumulate dust, and the case is covered with stains. That is why it is important to regularly and timely care for sleeping accessories. The ideal solution for them remains dry cleaning, but not everyone has the time and ability to send the bed for special treatment systematically. That is why the question of whether it is possible to wash pillows in the washing machine remains relevant for many homemakers. In fact, home care is possible – it is enough to choose the means and method, taking into account the composition of the model.
Can I wash pillows in the washing machine?
The ability to use a washing machine to care for pillows depends on the bedding filler. Washing is acceptable for the following models:
- Pen. Washing down pillows has remained a popular option for cleaning the product for decades.
- With wool. Even though such a pillow after washing will have to dry for a long time, this care method is effective and does not harm the natural filler.
- Bamboo. Products with covers of natural plant fibers easily tolerate wet cleaning and washing. For such material, they are completely safe and at the same time allow you to easily restore freshness and volume of filler.
- With hollofyber and synthpop. Polyester-based fibers do not absorb and effectively remove moisture – and therefore easily clean and dry quickly.
- With an “anti-stress” filler. Models with small silicone balls are more often related to decorative, and washing them is not recommended. However, if the pillow is badly dirty, you can return it to cleanliness in the machine – with all precautions.
However, you can send to the drum no sleeping affiliation: there are absolutely impossible products to wash. Thus, it is forbidden to wash pillows with the following filling options:
- Orthopedic foams and memories. When they enter the water, these compounds absorb moisture and lose their anatomical properties. It is no longer possible to restore them after that: they completely lose their elasticity and shape.
- Wadding. Cotton filler when washing is knocked into uneven lumps, and it is almost impossible to dry it.
- Natural plant fillers. Buckwheat, herbs, flax seeds, and berry seeds – pillows with such composition categorically do not accept such a care method: their contents swell and crumble, and useful properties are lost.
The cost of such products is quite high, so washing pillows in a washing machine is unacceptable for those who do not want to risk a comfortable sleep. For sleeping accessories with similar fillers are cared for in dry cleaners, where special compositions and technologies are used.
Common features and washing rules
Regardless of the materials used to fill the pillows, the washing of bedding is subject to general rules, allowing to restore the products carefully, safely, and without loss of their operational properties.
- Choosing a way to wash. Pillows can be washed as a whole and disassembled. In the second case, steam the pillowcase on one side, take out the filler, then put it in a laundry bag and send it to the machine separately from the pillowcase. After careful drying, the product is collected back. This method takes time and effort, but as a result, the pillow looks like a new one.
- Greedy mode. Maximum temperature for washing sleeping accessories – 40 degrees, it is desirable to choose a mode of delicate washing and use appropriate detergents – for wool, silk, thin fabrics.
- The right dryer. After washing, the pillows are placed strictly on a horizontal surface, periodically turned over and shaken, and after complete drying, carefully whisked.
Before washing, it is also worth studying the label on the pillow, which indicates recommendations for the care of the product.
How to wash different types of fillers?
Determine how to wash pillows in the washing machine; you can rely on the properties and the kind of filler. Depending on the contents, the washing mode and further procedures for pillow care are determined.
Pooh and feather
Products with such filler can be refreshed in the washing machine no more than 1-2 times a year. At the same time, it is necessary to find out the origin of the pen. The fluff of waterfowl – geese and ducks easily tolerate the procedure, but washing feather pillows stuffed with a chicken pen is not recommended – the material dries badly. It breaks, so it is best to go to the dry cleaners.
The pillow can be washed whole or disassembled, but in both cases, it is desirable to follow certain rules:
- Wash at a temperature not higher than 40 degrees, at minimum speeds, but with the maximum number of rinses.
- Do not use powder because the pellets are poorly washed out. The best solution is gels or laundry capsules.
- Together with a pillow or filler in the drum, it is desirable to put a tennis ball or special balls – they evenly whip down and feather, not allowing it to crumple and be treated.
- The pillow should be dried strictly horizontally and as long as possible – best in the open sun. At the same time, it should be constantly whipped and shaken to avoid unskewed lumps – otherwise, the filler will start topless.
Pillows with filler of sheep’s or camel wool need regular washing, as they accumulate dust and moisture. Caring for them is quite simple: they quietly carry the washing in the car on the appropriate model using detergents for wool products. Require careful drying, as well as any other models with natural composition.
Bamboo cushions have washed both ways, but manufacturers still recommend cleaning the filler separately – so it is faster and better dried. The best option is to wash the fiber in parts, dry thoroughly, connect and beat properly.
Requirements for washing bamboo pillows – a delicate mode (“Wool,” “Silk,” “Delicate fabrics”), a minimum number of revs, and an additional rinse to remove detergent residues. The use of liquid detergents – gels and capsules for wool, silk, and cashmere – will help maintain the filler’s volume and airiness.
Synthesis and Hollofyber
Polyester fibers are quite unpretentious; manufacturers allow home care of pillows with such filler. Following all the recommendations, you can keep the volume and properties of the product throughout the life of:
- Washing in the mode for delicate fabrics with a disconnected press. The last condition is necessary – the filler squeezed in the drum loses volume and forms lumps.
- It is possible to wash the filler separately from the park. Hollofyber and synthetics dry quickly, and if you comb through them with a special brush for fur and wool, they quickly restore elasticity and airiness.
- It is advisable to use liquid detergents to avoid accumulating fillings in filler fibers.
- After washing, it is recommended to press the filler by hand gently and spread it on a horizontal surface in a dry room for 2-3 days with periodic shaking and whipping.
Pillows with silicone balls perform a decorative function and are rarely used for sleep. However, from time to time, they need cleaning and care. Manufacturers advise washing their homes only in exceptional cases – on the most delicate mode, without pressing and machine drying, and only in special wash bags. If the pillowcase is damaged, it is necessary to shake out the filler and send only it to the machine – the balls are enough to rinse in a soap solution.
How often do you need to wash pillows?
All pillows, except for feathers, are recommended to be washed at least twice a year. Manufacturers call the optimal interval of three months – during this time, sleeping accessories do not have time to accumulate dust, which forms a favorable environment for pathogenic bacteria. Neglecting the regular care of products, in any case, is not necessary – for the sake of a comfortable and healthy sleep.